This client management license (ML) allows any number of nonserver operating system environments (OSEs) to be managed by Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager (previously known as System Center Configuration Manager) and Virtual Machine Manager, as long as only one user has access to them. If more than one user has access to a certain OSE or set of OSEs, then an ML is necessary for each user.
Benefits for Organizations
If you have a dedicated IT department and staff with datacenter administration experience, your organization can use Configuration Manager and Virtual Machine Manager to manage all client desktops, thin clients, mobile devices, and virtual desktops from a unified interface.
- Configuration Manager: provides software deployment, distribution, update management, and configuration monitoring throughout an IT infrastructure
- Virtual Machine Manager: enables administration and management of Microsoft and VMware virtual machine guests and virtual machine hosts
- Co-management with Microsoft Intune: provides limited access to the cloud-based Microsoft Intune service to concurrently manage Windows 10 devices with both Configuration Manager and Intune
Other types of System Center licenses are also available. For more information, see TechSoup Asia's Guide to System Center Products and Licensing.
The right to run System Center management server software is included with the MLs. If you request this product, you can obtain management server software for all of the System Center components listed above. The software includes a runtime version of SQL Server Technology (SQL Server Standard Edition) to support System Center. No additional licenses are needed for management servers or SQL Server technology.
MLs do not require media, license keys, or setup codes.
CALs, ECLs, and MLs offered through TechSoup Asia are always for the currently offered version of the server software. However, these licenses can also be used with earlier versions of the server software.
Obtaining the Server Software
Installing the server software requires you to download the software from the Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC) and enter a license key. You can download any available version or language for your product.
Expect two emails:
- When your request has been approved, TechSoup Asia will send a message to your organization email address. This email will confirm the number of licenses you have requested and provide information about how to use the VLSC once Microsoft accepts your license agreement. Make sure the email address in your organization details is up to date by visiting your account.
- Microsoft will send an email welcoming your organization to the VLSC. This email will indicate that Microsoft has accepted your license agreement. After you receive this email, you'll be able to follow the steps in the first email you received from TechSoup Asia to obtain your product through the VLSC.
Under the Software Assurance program, you have the right to install any new release of products covered in the agreement during the term of your coverage.