Windows Server Datacenter is a server operating system that enables a computer to handle network roles such as print server, domain controller, web server, and file server. As a server operating system, it is also the platform for separately acquired server applications such as Exchange Server or SQL Server. The Datacenter edition is designed for organizations with large workloads and heavily virtualized server environments.
This offer provides two core licenses for Windows Server Datacenter. Windows Server requires a minimum of 8 core licenses for each physical processor and a minimum of 16 core licenses for each server. The Datacenter edition allows an unlimited number of virtual instances of the server software when all cores on the server are licensed. For additional licensing information, see Understanding the Microsoft Server Solutions Available to Your Nonprofit.
Which Version of This Software Is Available?
You can find out which version of this software is available on the Current Versions of Microsoft Products page. You can download the software in any language that's available.
Benefits for Organizations
If you have system administration experience, you can use Windows Server to
- Run multiple server roles and different operating systems on a single server
- Reduce the amount of hardware needed to run server workloads
- Minimize the time it takes to set up hardware and software and reproduce test environments
- Server virtualization: Windows Server provides tools for creating and managing a virtualized server computing environment. You can replicate a virtual machine from one location to another, without shared storage, storage arrays, or other replication technologies. The Datacenter edition allows you to create encrypted virtual machines.
- Server management: Server Core and Nano Server provide minimal environments for running specific server roles. Those roles are then easier to maintain and manage and less exposed to attack. Administrators can manage groups of servers collectively from within a single, integrated console.
- Integrated services: Windows Server delivers a unified platform for web publishing that integrates IIS, ASP.NET, and Windows Communication Foundation and also supports SharePoint Services.
- Failover clustering: Administrators can minimize disruptions of services and applications by creating a redundant server environment with dynamic hardware partitioning.
- DirectAccess: This secure tunneling feature allows access to the network from any computer or device. It is faster than typical VPN connections and provides off-site access to file shares, on-premises equipment, and other resources.
No Software Assurance
This license does not include Software Assurance. Without Software Assurance, you will not have the right to install new releases of this product. You will not be able to add Software Assurance to this type of license.
Obtaining This Product
To install this product, you'll need to access the Microsoft 365 admin center. When your request has been approved, TechSoup Asia will send a message to your organization email address with further instructions.
If you need help obtaining this product, find out how to download it.